Back in April, Rita with Toltec Jewels invited participants to share in celebrating their favorite elements of Summer. We could share "jewelry and/or beads, of course, but also pretty photos, a
summer recipe, a campfire song, a craft, family memories, a poem -- anything you like!" A very broad spectrum of ideas came to mind because so far this summer has been FULL and it's only just begun.
A Much Needed Vacation
In July, my husband and I are going to Cabo San Lucas for a week!!!!! We've never been & can hardly wait. Everybody pray for no hurricanes until later in the year --- well, how about pray NO HURRICANES AT ALL!
Here's a taste of the awesome beaches!!! Isn't this pretty?!! Looks relaxing! :)
In the meantime, I was thinking of this lovely, light summer cake I used to make for my kids. Who are now all grown up, married, & doing their own things. But it's a very tasty cake and yet very very easy to make. On hot summer days in Texas, we enjoy this taste of cold & sweet! One of the best things about this cake is that you can make it a day or two ahead. Just keep it covered in the refrigerator & you'll be good to go! :)
Raspberry (or Strawberry) Jello Cake
- white cake mix
- raspberry or strawberry jello - the large box (you can use any flavor you desire but these are the two my kids preferred)
- cool whip or whip cream
- sprinkles if desired
- Prepare white cake mix according to directions & bake in a 9x12 pan.
- Remove from oven & using a serving fork poke a plethora of holes in the cake.
- Let cake cool for about 30 min.
- Prepare jello with only the hot water - do not add the cold water into the mix. Stir the jello mixture until jello is well dissolved.
- Pour jello mixture evenly over cake. It will be fairly saturated.
- Place cake in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or until jello is set.
- Remove cake after about 3-4 hours. Cover top with cool whip or whip cream. Sprinkle with candies if desired & replace in refrigerator until ready to serve. Cover with saran wrap or foil.
On a much different note ------- MY CACTI ARE BLOOMING!!!!
I've been waiting 13 years for this to bloom! :)
These bloom yearly!
Pretty soon the blossoms will fall & the prickly pear will ripen for us to make jam with!
The bees love these blooms!
The hummingbirds love these cactus blooms!
& they love these Aloe Vera blooms too!
LASTLY, Here is one of the beautiful Deer that's eating my flowers. :( She was born on our property last year. This year she has a fawn & snorts at us from time to time to let us know this is HER PROPERTY & she means business!!! It's really hilarious!
I took her picture at 9 pm out my living room window. She knew I was there & she's watching me!
Thanks Rita for hosting this Blog! It was fun to reminisce a little & to stop to "SMELL THE ROSES!" Come & join me in blog hopping!!!